WHY SHOULD I SPAY OR NEUTER MY PET?
Every year approximately 4 million dogs, cats, puppies and kittens are euthanized in the United States. These deaths can easily be prevented with a simple operation that doesn't have to cost a lot of money. There are many organizations that will help with the cost or cover it completely for some breeds. For a list of Low Cost Spay and Neuter providers near you, click here. In Los Angeles you are required by law to have your dogs and cats spayed or neutered by 4 months of age.
- For female animals, spaying eliminates the possibility of uterine or ovarian cancer and greatly reduces the incidence of breast cancer, particularly when it’s done before her first heat. For males, neutering eliminates testicular cancer and decreases the incidence of prostate cancer.
- A frustrated male can break down doors and jump fences in his desire to mate. Eighty percent of all pets that are hit by cars are roaming the neighborhood looking for an animal to mate with. Without this urge, your pet is much less likely to run away from home.
- It eliminates the problems and risks of pregnancy and birth, including pyometria.
Debunking the Myths:
- Neutering will NOT take away the “guard dog” instinct. He will still be as protective of his territory as he was before the surgery.
- Spaying/Neutering does NOT make your pet fat or lazy. Too much food and not enough exercise is the main cause of obesity.
- Spaying/Neutering is NOT a painful operation and can be performed as early as 4 months through adulthood. It is a safe and simple procedure when done by a licensed veterinarian. The recovery period is very quick. Also, your pet will appreciate the freedom from mating frustration.
- It is NOT better for your pet to have a litter or heat period before they are spayed.
- It is NOT easy finding homes for kittens and puppies. Even if you place them, are they “good homes”? Are the families willing to make a lifetime commitment? Only 1 in 10 puppies and 1 in 15 kittens ever finds a permanent home. You may be placing them now, but chances are they will end up in our overcrowded shelters at some point in their lifetime.
Easier for You:
- You are required by law to have a dog license. The fee is greatly reduced if your pet is fixed, making the surgery cheaper than paying high annual licensing fees.
- Eliminates the frantic pacing and crying while in heat.
- Eliminates the urge of males to mount people’s legs.
- Stops tomcats from “spraying” foul smelling urine.
- A spayed or neutered pet is a more relaxed member of your family.
LOW COST SPAY AND NEUTER SERVICES
A list of low cost spay and neuter services for dogs & cats, feral & stray cats, and rabbits can be found here.